Nursing caregivers are made up of Registered Nurses (RN’s), Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN’s) and Registered Care Aides (RCA’s). Staffing is allocated according to the level of care needs on each floor. Twenty-four hour nursing care is provided for all residents.
- Registered Care Aides assist with daily activities of living, moving through a routine familiar to the resident. Our “doing with” approach is designed to enhance the opportunity to make meaningful choices and ensure individualized care for each resident.
- Medications are administered by the Registered Nurses or Licensed Practical Nurses at scheduled times as prescribed by the attending physician.
- Attending physicians visit the Lodge regularly. Each resident is visited by the physician a minimum of quarterly, and a physician is on-call 24 hours a day. Residents may choose to keep their physician from the community upon the physician’s agreement. To ensure consistent medical care, nursing staff coordinate all medical appointments for residents as ordered by the attending physicians. Family members are encouraged to accompany residents on any appointments in the community whenever able, however if they are unable to accompany, families may be required to pay for the services of a companion to accompany, depending on the resident’s needs.
- Baths and showers are offered once a week and are supervised by Registered Care staff. We employ both male and female nursing staff and we strive to accommodate preferences for male or female attendants for personal services when possible. If families wish for their loved one to have more than one bath, they can hire an RCA from the community to provide that service. Sunset Lodge will train the community RCA on use of our equipment.
- Call bells are provided in each bedroom and washroom for resident use.